Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Samstag, 1. Juni 2024, 21:19 UTC+2

LePand

Profi

• »LePand« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Wohnort: República Separatista de Haedo Roberto Ruiz 1706 Buenos Aires Argentina

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 14. November 2008, 15:17

Save Teatro Colón

Hi everyone!
I remember some months ago we talked about Teatro Colón here, you may see the Covenant guys wanting to make a visit to the theater in the In Transit DVD.

-------------------
Wikipedia says:
The Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires, Argentina, is one of the world's major opera houses. The present theatre, the second with that name, opened in 1908 after twenty years under construction. The auditorium is horseshoe-shaped, has 2,487 seats (slightly more than, say, the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, London, England), standing room for 1,000 and a stage which is 20 m wide, 15 m high and 20 m deep. The acoustics are excellent.(...)
The theatre opened on 25 May 1908, with a performance of Verdi’s Aida and it quickly became a world-famous operatic venue rivaling La Scala and the Metropolitan Opera in attracting the best opera singers. (...)
With excellent acoustics and modern stage areas, the theatre's interior design features a rich scarlet and gold decor. The cupola contains frescoes painted in 1966 by the renowned 20th century artist Raúl Soldi during renovation work.
The theatre is presently undergoing phased remodeling, and production activities ceased at the end of October 2006 to allow full refurbishment. While it was originally planned to reopen in time for the centenary on May 25th 2008, delays prevented this and it is now planned to reopen in 2010.
-------------------

Now, lets know what´s going on:

Restoration begun in 2001, in 2006 theater was closed until work was finished. This work would cost to the city more than u$s 126.000.000.
During Mayor´s Telerman period, some events and concerts took place there, but where organized by people who didn´t know about the special acoustic characteristics of this place, so they took unnecessary amplifiers and some other equipment that seriously damaged the building. Also, a company with no skills for the restoring job was hired, and because of the bad work made, the building structure was badly damaged and is about to collapse.

Walls have cracks from the basement to the roof, everything inside is ruined, everyone is so deeply sad and angry. We are going to demonstrations and we want to save this beautiful historic monument.

I know we never talk about politics here, but we are trying to spread the word. I don´t know if this helps, but it´s worth to try it.

There is a facebook group, half english half spanish, be welcome to join:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22913984220

Here you can see the building destroyed inside:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Db5XWy0GEN0&NR=1

Thank you everyone for listening, I´m so deeply sad about this.

Wanda.
2010: The Year We Make Contact

Social Bookmarks