Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Samstag, 1. Juni 2024, 20:54 UTC+2

Samstag, 13. September 2008, 10:05

Storms in the States a' Poppin'...

I feel weird posting about this being there is so much more going on in the world right now that is more pressing and deserves more attention (and I'm tempted to list them being I have beer in me but I'll spare you that), just a quick note to say Vor and I are safe and we will continue to be safe. Unless Vor decides he is terrified by thunderstorms and has to come sleep on my couch. :P :D

(teasing, Vor, only teasing...)

Hurricane Ike is a biggie, but it's on the gulf, whereas we are waaaay far north, closer to Oklahoma (lucky us. :rolleyes: )

I've contacted the friends I've been able to reach in Houston being much of the power is out, and in Louisiana too, being much of the power is out there as well.

The most Vor and I will get will be storms and winds in excess of ~ 80.50/kph (50 mph).

I've already disassembled the hookah lounge from my patio to prepare for this, and I work marathon shifts at the ER hospital all Saturday and Sunday and yes, Full Moon Syndrome does apply to natural disasters so we're going to see a lot of crazy stuff come through the door, and we are especially happy to help animals (and their owners) who have been affected by the storms and have migrated north into the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex.

Holy Jesus that was a long-ass run-on sentence. Did I mention I've been imbibing beer tonight?

Anyway this is a really huge hurricane (yay! another one! :rolleyes: ) and the most we'll see is perhaps some power outages , heavy wind and rain.

I only bring this up here because some kind people have mentioned being worried about us here in Texas. No worries. We're just going to be absolutely drenched wet, blown about by winds, and all of this in the dark due to potential power outages.

Typical Texas end-of-summer. ;)

Samstag, 13. September 2008, 12:20

I had to fill a alprazolam rx today for a dog. The directions ended with "...as needed for thunderstorms".

Expecting to see weirder things at work Sunday.

Samstag, 13. September 2008, 20:46

Zitat

Originally posted by Vorbedacht
I had to fill a alprazolam rx today for a dog. The directions ended with "...as needed for thunderstorms".

Expecting to see weirder things at work Sunday.

We will probably see that dog, and the owners will demand that its panic attack is more of an emergency than the HBC that rolled through the doors and be pissed off they were waiting 2 hours.

It's an EMERGENCY ROOM. We TRIAGE. :mauer: :mauer: :mauer:

Niggels

Super Moderator

Beruf: Veranstaltungskaufmann

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 13. September 2008, 22:25

RE: Storms in the States a' Poppin'...

Zitat

Original von ilex011
just a quick note to say Vor and I are safe and we will continue to be safe

That's good to hear! :)

Sonntag, 14. September 2008, 08:29

Screw You, Ike!

Ike is a wimp! All of us in North Texas were prepared for those winds and such. Bought candles, batteries, flashlights. On my way to work this afternoon I passed a billboard that said nothing else, but in huge letters

WELCOME IKE

(as in, "Welcome, Ike, to our humble burgh of Dallas"; not as an order for everyone to be welcoming Ike here, mind you)

So what do we get? A regular Texas rainstorm! Houston got hit hard though, so my good thoughts go out to friends there. We'll see what Sunday holds for us in North Texas. Even the hospital was slow...

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »ilex011« (14. September 2008, 08:30)

Sonntag, 14. September 2008, 18:48

Good to know that you are fine. Just seen pics in the news. Looks terrible :o

Montag, 15. September 2008, 01:53

Well, I did have to use a black umbrella today to cover myself from the sun on my way home from work.

I don't know what to say to my friend who lives near the beach that had to evacuate.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Vorbedacht« (15. September 2008, 05:58)

Dienstag, 16. September 2008, 00:24

@Niggels and Dani: Thanks guys, for your concern about us. :)

@Vor: it's simple:

"Hi, I was just calling/emailing to make sure you guys are ok down there. I wanted to let you know I was thinking about you, and if you need anything like a place to stay, or whatever, let me know if I can help in any way. Anyway, just wanted to let you know you all are in my mind and heart and I wanted to be sure you're alright. Take care. - Holley"

That's the voice message I left on friends' phones anyway, if I wasn't able to get through due to power outage.

It really does feel reassuring and comforting to know a friend is thinking about you and your well-being, even if you aren't sure what to say. Even saying "I'm not sure what to say in situations like this, but do know I'm thinking about you and hope you're ok" really does go a long way in making people feel good. Or at least better. Or appreciated.

There you go.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »ilex011« (16. September 2008, 00:25)

LePand

Profi

Wohnort: República Separatista de Haedo Roberto Ruiz 1706 Buenos Aires Argentina

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 18. September 2008, 21:00

@Ilex: thank god you have the HK umbrella ella ella ey ey ey! :D

May the force be with you both!

*blanket hug for H and V*
2010: The Year We Make Contact

Samstag, 20. September 2008, 05:56

There needs to be a Hurricane Hello Kitty.

Sonntag, 21. September 2008, 10:11

Zitat

Originally posted by Vorbedacht
There needs to be a Hurricane Hello Kitty.

Michele- Photoshop me that, STAT!!!!!!!!!

Vor, you always know just what to say to cheer me up... *dabs eye with Hello Kitty tissue...*

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »ilex011« (21. September 2008, 10:11)

Social Bookmarks