Você não está logado.

terça, 16 abril 2024 - 11:25 UTC+2

Dear visitor, welcome to official Covenant Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Manuel (EiD)

Super Moderador

• "Manuel (EiD)" started this thread

• Enviar mensagem particular

terça, 04 dezembro 2007 - 10:22

About: Equipment

[d] About : Equipment...: In unser neuen Rubrik erfährst du, welche Hardware-Instrumente Covenant nutzt und auf welchen Alben sie verwendet wurden.

[e] About : Equipment...: In our new category you can learn wich hardware instruments Covenant uses and on which recordings they appear.

http://www.covenant.de/knowledge/about/equipment

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Manuel (EiD)" (03/03/2008, 13:57)

gaseki

Trainee

Ocupação: teacher

sábado, 15 dezembro 2007 - 22:11

That's the first place I visited in Covenant.de
I can see they use a lot of vintage synths...
Never go never let me go...

Visit My Space

terça, 18 dezembro 2007 - 02:00

Nice! Sample sources would also be interesting. But I'm not sure, if all secrets should be revealed... I'm still of the opinion that art is to be consumed and admired in whole and it's not meant to be drilled down in atomic parts and scrutenized. And I wouldn't want it to get , ehm, uncomfortable for the band, if samples weren't cleared before.
But I remember listening to another band's album the other day while I was washing dishes and recognizing a soundloop all of a sudden... 8)

ilex011

Professional

terça, 18 dezembro 2007 - 02:31

Citação

Originally posted by subetha
Nice! Sample sources would also be interesting. But I'm not sure, if all secrets should be revealed... I'm still of the opinion that art is to be consumed and admired in whole and it's not meant to be drilled down in atomic parts and scrutenized.

Yeah, and I admit I kinda like not knowing how the music is made. Being I am not a musician it holds a certain mystique. Maybe I'm naiive... ;)

gaseki

Trainee

terça, 18 dezembro 2007 - 06:03

It's surprising because making music is at the same time nothing hard and something very hard.As for samples I remember that (someone mentioned it here I think) for the Rising Sun they used two Steve Stoll songs
Oh... and I almost forgot... counting in the begining of Dead Stars is from Kraftwerk's Schaufenterpuppen, and there's some music from Erasure or something like that...

Visit My Space

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "gaseki" (18/12/2007, 11:47)

terça, 18 dezembro 2007 - 14:12

And I thought I heard a certain loop from We Break Down in a remix of some acid house song... forget the name of it though...

terça, 18 dezembro 2007 - 16:03

We always sampled a lot. Musical recycling is very interesting and the idea of "found sound" goes way back in the history of electronic music. We really like the idea to shoplift a fragment of someone else's work and use it in our own way. I don't consider it to be stealing, it's a tribute.

In fact, "We Break Down" is indeed built from samples of 2 classic acid tracks. According to myth the term "acid" refers to sampling ("to burn acid") and not the drug. So we thought it would be fun to burn acid of some classic acid and make a tribute to the pioneers of modern dance music.

I doubt that the artists we have borrowed stuff from would mind, but publishers and record companies usually see things differently, as in the case of the Steve Stoll loops. So we won't reveal or confirm anything about our sources.

See it as being members of a secret club: we who know can appreciate the work of our predecessors and hopefully discover new dimensions.

A disclaimer on this topic: we never stole anything to capitalize on their talent. We always did it out of admiration and as a tributary little gesture. Sometimes all you need is a noise or a piece of a beat to get inspired to make something completely unique and still recognize the genius of the original work. This is how music evolves.

gaseki

Trainee

terça, 18 dezembro 2007 - 18:27

I'm not the greatest fan there is, but I would never consider using some samples like you did to be stealing. It was creative, and stealing isn't... When I'm playing "music making" I also sometimes use and reinvent someone elses ideas.

Visit My Space

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "gaseki" (18/12/2007, 19:10)

quarta, 19 dezembro 2007 - 00:55

And not just loops. One of the things a lot of people associate electronic music with is the sampling of dialogue from popular movies, mostly from the sci-fi genre. I haven't heard of any lawsuits pertaining to that certain practice. (If there were any to be started, though, Daniel would probably be the first to be targeted. :P Just kidding.)

quarta, 19 dezembro 2007 - 00:59

I agree that creative and respectful sampling is an expression of art on it's own.
But it's sometimes hard to determine where the grey zone begins, when a unique sound or slice of rhythm is more or less recognizable reproduced and may be the center element of a new song without compensating the original artists. I think that can only be decided in each single case, but as Joakim said, record companies and publishers might show less understanding for sampling than the artists themselves.
Talking about it, the legendary sample sources list by Peter Cigehn comes into my mind. I enjoyed it back in my first r.m.i. days to discover some interesting movies. Does anyone remember it? :-]

quarta, 19 dezembro 2007 - 01:22

Citação

Originally posted by subetha
Talking about it, the legendary sample sources list by Peter Cigehn comes into my mind. I enjoyed it back in my first r.m.i. days to discover some interesting movies. Does anyone remember it? :-]

8o

Oh, yes. The Epic Sample List of Win and Awesome*. Don't live life without it.

*not the official title.

gaseki

Trainee

quarta, 19 dezembro 2007 - 16:56

And back to the hardware... I've seen some pictures from Barcelona, and Joakim had only the Nord Modular... What happened to the other synth?

Visit My Space

LePand

Professional

Localização: República Separatista de Haedo Roberto Ruiz 1706 Buenos Aires Argentina

quarta, 19 dezembro 2007 - 18:13

Citação

Originally posted by Joakim
See it as being members of a secret club: we who know can appreciate the work of our predecessors and hopefully discover new dimensions.

A disclaimer on this topic: we never stole anything to capitalize on their talent. We always did it out of admiration and as a tributary little gesture. Sometimes all you need is a noise or a piece of a beat to get inspired to make something completely unique and still recognize the genius of the original work. This is how music evolves.

I think it applies for all kind of art :-]
2010: The Year We Make Contact

LadyKomachi

Intermediate

Ocupação: Operational Risk Consultant - professional pessimist / rational optimist ?

quinta, 20 dezembro 2007 - 00:38

Citação

Originally posted by gaseki
And back to the hardware... I've seen some pictures from Barcelona, and Joakim had only the Nord Modular... What happened to the other synth?

His normal kit was missing in transit :P

Nxxx
Falling out of cars and playing in traffic.

quinta, 20 dezembro 2007 - 00:47

exactly. it didnt make the flight from madrid to barcelona. its very difficult for airport staff, to take care of bands equipment.... hahaha

LadyKomachi

Intermediate

Ocupação: Operational Risk Consultant - professional pessimist / rational optimist ?

quinta, 20 dezembro 2007 - 01:17

Citação

Originally posted by Daniel Myer
exactly. it didnt make the flight from madrid to barcelona. its very difficult for airport staff, to take care of bands equipment.... hahaha

:P
i get nervous enough about the risk of them losing my luggage never mind anything else - should have got the train :lol:

Nx
Falling out of cars and playing in traffic.

gaseki

Trainee

quinta, 20 dezembro 2007 - 05:49

And did they find it in the end or is it "constantly in transit?"

Visit My Space

LePand

Professional

Localização: República Separatista de Haedo Roberto Ruiz 1706 Buenos Aires Argentina

quinta, 20 dezembro 2007 - 13:56

Luggage remained in limbo for ever. And limbo is somewhere between Neverland and Buenos Aires...
2010: The Year We Make Contact

quinta, 20 dezembro 2007 - 14:00

Citação

Originally posted by gaseki
And did they find it in the end or is it "constantly in transit?"

Maybe it's stuck where all dreams go when they die.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "michelem31" (20/12/2007, 14:00)

quarta, 26 dezembro 2007 - 11:52

Citação

Originally posted by Daniel Myer

It's the curse of Madrid! Every single time I've flown in or out of Madrid they lose my things. I even tried to make sure nothing would happen by personally carrying the G2X to the "special luggage" check in. Amazing. Next time I'll insist on carrying the damn thing on board.

At least I got it back after some serious wrangling at the airport in Barcelona. But there is something wrong with the Spanish way of handling things. Even the poor guy at the airport in Buenos Aires said so: "Oh, from Madrid? Hm. I'll do my best..."

Social bookmarks